Bluemour XXXV

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting take by Tom Morris on SEN. Not that it means much at the end of the day, but I’m still curious; can any of the ITK’s shed any light on this? Fact or fiction?

View attachment 1790936

Apparently JSOS is close to re-signing according to some posts on here but I wouldn’t pay too much attention to media lines like, “There were some preliminary interest but no takers for Silvagni.” It sounds ridiculous. There would be at lease 10 clubs that would love to have a player like Jack Silvagni on their list and have a need for that type and the majority of clubs probably already have that type on their list. Tom Morris makes it sound like no one wants him. Ridiculous.

Apparently JSOS is close to re-signing according to some posts on here but I wouldn’t pay too much attention to media lines like, “There were some preliminary interest but no takers for Silvagni.” It sounds ridiculous. There would be at lease 10 clubs that would love to have a player like Jack Silvagni on their list and have a need for that type and the majority of clubs probably already have that type on their list. Tom Morris makes it sound like no one wants him. Ridiculous.
Yep. He'd be a cert for a team that loves roleplayers like StKilda and Sydney... he'd probably be a monty for Ross at the Saints but suspect with SOS there they'd be a bit gun shy after the whole SOS and Carlton scenario.

This would have been incredible under the SOS days.

He would have traded the sh*t out of our cap space. I strongly suspect he took on a few mature recruits on short-term contracts just to meet the minimum salary floor.

Trading cap space for picks could have really accelerated the rebuild.

It's a fantastic tool for lower placed clubs. They get the long term benefit of an extra or improved draft pick, and all it costs them is cap space in the short term, which they'd have to spend on someone less deserving anyway.

Gonna be interesting to see how it plays out. Will we end up with a generally accepted matrix of draft pick value, or will it be very contextual based on how desperate the selling club is and how many willing trade partners they have?

An auction-type approach would be interesting.

Either a club saying "we're prepared to offer up Pick 30, any interested clubs can come to us with the salary space they're prepared to offer in return and we'll take the best", or a club saying "we're prepared to take on $X00,000 of cap space, clubs can come to us with offers of draft picks and we'll take the best".

Interesting take by Tom Morris on SEN. Not that it means much at the end of the day, but I’m still curious; can any of the ITK’s shed any light on this? Fact or fiction?

View attachment 1790936

Absolute horse s**t

Jack Silvagni is a restricted free agent

Carlton advised him to go out and test his market value.

He allegedly turned down contract offers from at least two sides and was prepared to settle for less to remain a one club layer.

This BS about him being trade bait simply doesn't make sense giving his contract status.

What does make sense is that we preferred TDK over him and had TDK not re-signed It would have been a higher priority to ensure that we kept Jack.

My sources still suggest Jsck wiill sign a two-year contract "soon."

Last edited:
I don't like the idea of being able to buy salary cap space with draft picks.
I don't think people will feel great about a club winning the flag way over the salary cap because they traded out some picks a struggling team.
Is this actually being discussed in a more than a player and pick for nothing type way?

The idea of buying salary cap space would be to rid yourself of unwanted contracts and opening that salary up.

Examples include Rhys Palmer and Matthew Lobbe to Carlton trades that helped GWS and Port Adelaide when we had cap space out the wazoo but nothing to spend it on during our rebuild.

Last edited:
I don't like the idea of being able to buy salary cap space with draft picks.
I don't think people will feel great about a club winning the flag way over the salary cap because they traded out some picks a struggling team.

All comes down to the market value, and whether it's sustainable for a top club to keep offloading draft picks while padding out their list with free agents.

I don't think it'll be a viable long-term strategy. It's long term value for the lower placed club (draft pick, 10+ years of value if they pick the right player(s)) vs short term value for the higher placed club (cap relief for presumably one or two years).

More likely we'll see late picks being offloaded (the picks clubs may not use at the draft anyway) for small amounts of cap relief that can be used to close deals for players that are haggling. Go back to when we offloaded Betts because he apparently wanted an extra $50k - if we'd been able to shop a third or fourth rounder around to free up the necessary cap space, we may have been prepared to retain him. Unlikely to see clubs giving away first round picks so they can sign a marquee free agent outside the salary cap.

View attachment 1790936
I’ll do my best to shed some light on this as a poster that some consider ITK.

Tom Morris is what we ITK refer to as people with NFI.
Now that Tom Browne has resigned from channel 7. Morris is putting a very strong case forward as a replacement for someone that can say a lot, that means nothing, and doesn’t actually make sense.

Basically dialogue between the club and jsos has been very transparent the entire season.
He’s a free agent, we have/had a number of players we wish to re-sign. There is a tiered list of priories. There is a limited amount of money.
Conversations basically said, we’d like to keep you, we don’t know what that offer will look like until the end of the year, you are well within your rights to speak with others.
If you left on a better deal, no hard feelings, but we cant’t present a contract offer to you until later in the year, so don’t burn bridges with other clubs if you feel it will be detrimental to your own career.
He’s recently donated blood, it came out navy blue, he immediately told his manager that’s he’s not really interested in leaving.

Is this actually being discussed in a more than a player and pick for nothing type way?

The idea of buying salary cap space would be to rid yourself of unwanted contracts and opening that salary up.

Examples include Rhys Palmer and Matthew Lobbe to Carlton trades that helped GWS and Port Adelaide when we had cap space out the wall but nothing to spend it on during our rebuild.
I'd be staggered if they were allowing clubs to buy salary space above the cap limits.

Surely it's closer to what you're suggesting.

I'd be staggered if they were allowing clubs to buy salary space above the cap limits.

Surely it's closer to what you're suggesting.
The only way I see it happening is on a technicality like Grundy to Melbourne where the Pies are on the hook for X amount of his remaining contract.

Now that Tom Browne has resigned from channel 7. Morris is putting a very strong case forward as a replacement for someone that can say a lot, that means nothing, and doesn’t actually make sense.

Basically dialogue between the club and jsos has been very transparent the entire season.
He’s a free agent, we have/had a number of players we wish to re-sign. There is a tiered list of priories. There is a limited amount of money.
Conversations basically said, we’d like to keep you, we don’t know what that offer will look like until the end of the year, you are well within your rights to speak with others.
If you left on a better deal, no hard feelings, but we cant’t present a contract offer to you until later in the year, so don’t burn bridges with other clubs if you feel it will be detrimental to your own career.
He’s recently donated blood, it came out navy blue, he immediately told his manager that’s he’s not really interested in leaving.
Inspiring Tim Tebow GIF by Home Free

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both full of :poo:

Examples include Rhys Palmer and Matthew Lobbe to Carlton trades that helped GWS and Port Adelaide when we had cap space out the wazoo but nothing to spend it on during our rebuild.
It is being discussed as buying a pick with salary cap space ie you give us pick #x and we'll pay $y dollars of your salary, so that you can spend $y over the cap.

Well played by all.

We want JSOS to stay but can't break the bank for him.

He tests the waters, with our blessing, probably no big offers forthcoming.

Swings back to the club, signs a deal after both sides have done what they needed to do.

Welcomed to stay with open arms, seemingly no hard feelings on either side.

Respectfully played out. Can't say that's been our MO with potential leavers in years past. Bravo.

It is being discussed as buying a pick with salary cap space ie you give us pick #x and we'll pay $y dollars of your salary, so that you can spend $y over the cap.

I can't begin to tell you how much I hate and despise the idea of this. If it was like Bowes last year then I get it but not if there isn't a player going to the team absorbing the salary cap

That opens it up to all sorts of collision. Imagine Essendon with Brad Scott as coach dumping $500k of contracts on a rebuilding Geelong under Chris Scott to then sign a marquee free agent for a flag tilt.

That's just dirty and wrong

Lots of clubs have similar relationships with one another. Dimma now at the Gold Coast working with Richmond another example

No thanks. There's no integrity in that even if they made moves like that legal

I can't begin to tell you how much I hate and despise the idea of this. If it was like Bowes last year then I get it but not if there isn't a player going to the team absorbing the salary cap

That opens it up to all sorts of collision. Imagine Essendon with Brad Scott as coach dumping $500k of contracts on a rebuilding Geelong under Chris Scott to then sign a marquee free agent for a flag tilt.

That's just dirty and wrong

Lots of clubs have similar relationships with one another. Dimma now at the Gold Coast working with Richmond another example

No thanks. There's no integrity in that even if they made moves like that legal
100%
I am totally against it. But it has definitely been floated as a possibility.

It’s not always as simple an equation as what people think.

List management and TPP management is a multi year thing.
Losing player A (in this case Fisher) doesn’t mean we have that cap space next year for a FA acquisition.
Players contracts are almost always weighted year on year, very rarely lineal. So it could very likely be needing to lose a player or two around Fishers coin, knowing that we are replacing them with draft picks that are on a 2 year locked base contract. With the knowledge that the money saved is already assigned to players we already have on our list.
I'd love to get my hands on that spreadsheet :moustache:

Well played by all.

We want JSOS to stay but can't break the bank for him.

He tests the waters, with our blessing, probably no big offers forthcoming.

Swings back to the club, signs a deal after both sides have done what they needed to do.

Welcomed to stay with open arms, seemingly no hard feelings on either side.

Respectfully played out. Can't say that's been our MO with potential leavers in years past. Bravo.

There were a couple of offers. Nothing that put him any closer to a premiership (not even where we were last year is guaranteed) and he's worked his ass off for 8 years but to go backwards now and watch his beloved Blues succeed without him. It'd eat Jack up.

This team knows it's close and is at the stage where sacrifices may have to be made to be a part of it

I like it….

I also like the idea of loans, you go and play for a year, they pay your wage for that year freeing up cap space (or chunk of it) and if the marriage goes well then let’s look at a permanent trade. Allow the club taking the loan player to have an extra list spot and the loaning club one less list spot for that period

Bottom of the ladder clubs can bring in short term help, club loaning gets cap space…don’t think it would be used a lot but another way of list management flexibility

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I like it….

I also like the idea of loans, you go and play for a year, they pay your wage for that year freeing up cap space (or chunk of it) and if the marriage goes well then let’s look at a permanent trade. Allow the club taking the loan player to have an extra list spot and the loaning club one less list spot for that period

Bottom of the ladder clubs can bring in short term help, club loaning gets cap space…don’t think it would be used a lot but another way of list management flexibility

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Need a vomit emoji.

Imagine making the Grand Final and losing to a club over the salary cap. We don't have to imagine, because 1993.
But it shouldn't be allowed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back