Player Watch #5: Curtis Taylor - re-signed until the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Fumbles way too much. I miss the days when I was initially excited by what his future might look like at AFL level.

Fumbles way too much. I miss the days when I was initially excited by what his future might look like at AFL level.
It also doesn't help that the club saw marking flair and a sound set shot technique and decided to play him on a wing for two years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dunno if this wing role is really working?

From memory he was drafted as an impact forward? He had a great leap and a good goal sense (A sort of Bayley Fritch type)

Good’ol North Dev team turns him into something he’s not presumably?

……And sadly I’d say his career is now hanging by a thread

From memory he was drafted as an impact forward? He had a great leap and a good goal sense (A sort of Bayley Fritch type)

He was predominately playing as a half forward today, think he only really moved onto a wing for the final quarter.

One of the few who run both ways to help cover for others or chain up
His marking is very good
Needs to be more one touch though
View attachment 1766848
All that extra running is due to him trying to gather all his fumbles
All summer he needs to work on that or he is done

It’s cos he’s one of the better runners at the club so they are trying to utilise it

I think Mason wood is the prototype for this guy. Can take a good mark, use his tank and get to good positions create mismatches etc

I agree that he’d be better forward but we’d need better runners brought in to make it a permanent forward role for CT
But then you don't rate the guy who runs harder than anyone both ways (and had by far the most sprints on the ground of either team)?
That’s correct I don’t really rate running

But others do so just pointing out that double standard

I rate CT as he has a point of difference being that he can beat players in the air and on the ground and is dangerous around goal when he actually plays forward

See goal scored today as an example

Gym. Eat Steak. Sleep. Repeat.

That needs to be his training schedule for the next 6 months.

Got kids in my sons under 12’s team that have better physiques than him and they haven’t even gone through puberty yet

It’s cos he’s one of the better runners at the club so they are trying to utilise it

I think Mason wood is the prototype for this guy. Can take a good mark, use his tank and get to good positions create mismatches etc

I agree that he’d be better forward but we’d need better runners brought in to make it a permanent forward role for CT

That’s correct I don’t really rate running

But others do so just pointing out that double standard

I rate CT as he has a point of difference being that he can beat players in the air and on the ground and is dangerous around goal when he actually plays forward

See goal scored today as an example

His aerial prowess has been overblown on this forum. Even in juniors his marking wasn’t that good. Is he capable of a mercurial contested mark? Definitely, Yes. Is he a genuinely elite contested mark? Nope, not even close.

What goes against him is that at ground level he is an absolute liability.

Yes his running capacity is good but he doesn’t use it well enough to get into dangerous positions or to accumulate the footy. Additionally he doesn’t provide any running link up play because he is too one paced.

He is as plain and non effectual as they come.

Arrived at the club with a bag of tricks & a terrific leap. Haven't seen him fly for a hanger in a year or 2. Hit the scoreboard regularly in his first season.

Just not sure why the club has turned him into an endurance athlete who runs 1km/disposal.......
He kind of flew for a hanger in R1. It was a weird one where he ended up about three centimetres off the ground but at an angle that almost no one else on the list would be able to mark on.

He was played forward in the first three weeks of the year and I cannot understand why the coaching staff have moved away from that type of position for him. A guy with a decent leap, an ok set shot on him, and goal sense. With no muscle tone, no pace, and the worst case of the fumbles of any regular in the league. And we play him outside the forward 50. Go figure

He kind of flew for a hanger in R1. It was a weird one where he ended up about three centimetres off the ground but at an angle that almost no one else on the list would be able to mark on.

He was played forward in the first three weeks of the year and I cannot understand why the coaching staff have moved away from that type of position for him. A guy with a decent leap, an ok set shot on him, and goal sense. With no muscle tone, no pace, and the worst case of the fumbles of any regular in the league. And we play him outside the forward 50. Go figure

It’s because he is so easy to push under/off the ball and because he provides next to no defensive pressure inside forward 50 when he plays deep.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back