Travel The Hangar Travel Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey, looks like we are all in the move again

I am headed to Berlin, Paris, England in 4 weeks. Having a few days around Winchester - Bath and a few days London, including a Van Morrison concert - third time I’ve had tickets in 2 years! Hopefully 3rd time lucky. Probs covid will whip his unvaccinated arse the week of the gig.
Anyway, just booked Winchester etc yesterday and then came on here and saw Tesla’s pics of the Ouse Valley viaduct and thought bugger! I’m a tragic for a great bit of historical engineering.

Speaking of being on the move, ideally, I'll head to Blighty 2023-24 and stay with my great-aunt who lives in Crawley.

I've never been overseas (if you don't count Rotto) so hopefully it'll be happening.

It’s been a long wait but finally booked for November this year, COVID’s timing was terrible as I planned on going during Cherry Blossom season but prices have hiked since then for that time of year. Japan in Autumn should still be very good though.
Oh you’ll love it! I did Japan in December some years ago. I thought the Autumn colours were absolutely breathtaking and I didn’t miss the cherry blossom crowds.

Attachments

• DFDD2C72-64B9-4AA8-89B3-7FE41B7CBE3A.jpeg
    DFDD2C72-64B9-4AA8-89B3-7FE41B7CBE3A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 57
  • D9D12C1A-1E66-419C-BBBA-CABE44F2E699.jpeg
    D9D12C1A-1E66-419C-BBBA-CABE44F2E699.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 52

Speaking of being on the move, ideally, I'll head to Blighty 2023-24 and stay with my great-aunt who lives in Crawley.

I've never been overseas (if you don't count Rotto) so hopefully it'll be happening.

i played footy (aussie rules) for a team called Sussex based in Crawley, in the shadows of Gatwick airport. Nice enough locale, handy to the beach at brighton and London town

Blighty is a good place to start if you haven’t been overseas much. Lots to see and do, good people, easy to navigate your way around, etc.
Hey, looks like we are all in the move again

I am headed to Berlin, Paris, England in 4 weeks. Having a few days around Winchester - Bath and a few days London, including a Van Morrison concert - third time I’ve had tickets in 2 years! Hopefully 3rd time lucky. Probs covid will whip his unvaccinated arse the week of the gig.
Anyway, just booked Winchester etc yesterday and then came on here and saw Tesla’s pics of the Ouse Valley viaduct and thought bugger! I’m a tragic for a great bit of historical engineering.
Oh man I’m jealous!!
I did a very similar trip in 2003.
I really enjoyed Paris, so much to do (museums used to be free on either the first or last Sunday of the month), I walked up the Eiffel Tower…if you take the lift you have to queue for an hour and you don’t get the same photo opportunities…go late arvo and you can see Paris at day/sunset/night.
Thought it was a good idea to take the night bus from Paris to Berlin to save some cash…terrible mistake (didn’t sleep, took forever).
Berlin was great for gigs, can recommend their walking tours.
Stayed at a Hostel called The Circus which was the best I’ve ever stayed at (very clean)

290538518_10221586063024104_1361868172743409152_n.jpg

New Forest in Hampshire. It's nice enough I guess but there are just no truly wild places in this country. I am coming back to Australia in a week and I can't wait to spend some time in the Australian bush - a lovely term that captures just about anything outside the city. The 'scrub' is something again.

View attachment 1441907

New Forest in Hampshire. It's nice enough I guess but there are just no truly wild places in this country. I am coming back to Australia in a week and I can't wait to spend some time in the Australian bush - a lovely term that captures just about anything outside the city. The 'scrub' is something again.

Rarely do I use this word but STUNNING.

Some pics from Lisbon, apparently the oldest western European city after Athens. Like Porto, it's very hilly but no quality francesinha on offer it seems. The pink street was historically frequented by sailors and prostitutes but is pretty tame now.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1659472087238.jpg
    FB_IMG_1659472087238.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 59
  • FB_IMG_1659472083203.jpg
    FB_IMG_1659472083203.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 52
  • FB_IMG_1659472111149.jpg
    FB_IMG_1659472111149.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 51
  • FB_IMG_1659472105768.jpg
    FB_IMG_1659472105768.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Some pics from Lisbon, apparently the oldest western European city after Athens. Like Porto, it's very hilly but no quality francesinha on offer it seems. The pink street was historically frequented by sailors and prostitutes but is pretty tame now.
Is she trying to make it more or less pink with that mop?

Had a great day with Tesla1962 yesterday. Visited a couple of urban wineries in the city of London, catching up on news over the last few years and exchanging opinions on the latest Essendon ructions, enjoying the English summer weather (no rain!)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be going to Adelaide around August/September. Have done the Barossa. Hahndorf is definitely on the list this time as we missed it the first time. Any recommendations for other wine regions, attractions, restaurants etc?
Star of Greece, Wiliunga.

Will be going to Adelaide around August/September. Have done the Barossa. Hahndorf is definitely on the list this time as we missed it the first time. Any recommendations for other wine regions, attractions, restaurants etc?
If doing Hahndorf you're pretty much nestled in the Adelaide Hills wine region. A few craft breweries and gin distillers throughout the Hills too.

A few different wildlife parks are around with Monarto Zoo being my pick, the National Motor Museum at Birdwood (from memory you like cars), Mt Lofty Botanic Gardens, quite a bit to see and do in the hills, the internet lists plenty. Melbas Chocolate Factory is pretty decent too. There'd be plenty of guided tours to waste a day or just find your own way. You could easily spend a few days there if food, drink and bits and bobs in between is your go. Will be pretty chilly in August though.

McLaren Vale, another great wine region, is only about 45 minutes south of the CBD.

Last edited:
A question for Beerfish (or anyone else who wants to chime in).

I’m thinking about a short holiday to W.A. in November, just for a few days.
My only two priorities are warm weather and the beach.

After a quick bit of research, I’m liking the look of Broome/Cable beach.
Though I’d be going at the start of wet season, I’m not really sure what that entails but it sounds ominous.
The other possibility is Monkey Mia, obviously to see the world famous monkeys.
Concerned that might be a bit too touristy.

Just wondering if you might have other any ideas for lesser known nice coastal destinations, as a local of sorts.
I’m not really looking for any activities, just hanging out at the beach, lots of walking and maybe hiring a bike.

Last edited:
A question for @ Beerfish (or anyone else who wants to chime in).

Though I’d be going at the start of wet season, I’m not really sure what that entails but it sounds ominous.

Just wondering if you might have other any ideas for lesser known nice coastal destinations, as a local of sorts.
I’m not really looking for any activities, just hanging out at the beach, lots of walking and maybe hiring a bike.
Green pools Denmark looks absolutely stunning.

A question for @ Beerfish (or anyone else who wants to chime in).

Beerfish < at symbol and username, no space

A question for Beerfish (or anyone else who wants to chime in).

Never been to Broome myself. Farthest north I've been is Dampier/Point Samson. If you're just coming for a few days you probably don't want to waste most of your time travelling. There are nice spots a lot closer to Perth. Moore River/Guilderton is just north of Perth and has both river and beach. Accommodation is a little pricey though and it's packed during school hols and you don't get a lot for your buck so don't expect 5 star resort stuff. It's old holiday house type rental or caravan park. It's also just south of Lancelin (great if you like massive sand dunes) and Jurien Bay which are both a bit more civilised than Guilderton. I mean honestly the whole coastline is beautiful beaches so it's just a question of how far north you want to go to get warmer temps and what kind of facilities you want. If you like the look of Broome/Cable though you should go for it. I wouldn't be put off by the wet season. Mostly just means there'll be a s**t tonne of rain in the afternoons. Having said all that if you're only here for a few days I would be flying up to Broome.. and really anywhere north of the other spots I mentioned.

Monkey Mia is definitely touristy but if you like feeding monkeys then it's the place to go. Kalbarri is also nice and a bit closer. Also has great gorges and a relatively new sky walk which I haven't had a chance to check out myself yet but is magnificent from all reports I've heard.. but it's not a beach so not a priority for you.

Coral Bay and Exmouth are both beautiful too!

Sorry.. bit of a brain dump not overly well organised. :$

Never been to Broome myself. Farthest north I've been is Dampier/Point Samson. If you're just coming for a few days you probably don't want to waste most of your time travelling. There are nice spots a lot closer to Perth. Moore River/Guilderton is just north of Perth and has both river and beach. Accommodation is a little pricey though and it's packed during school hols and you don't get a lot for your buck so don't expect 5 star resort stuff. It's old holiday house type rental or caravan park. It's also just south of Lancelin (great if you like massive sand dunes) and Jurien Bay which are both a bit more civilised than Guilderton. I mean honestly the whole coastline is beautiful beaches so it's just a question of how far north you want to go to get warmer temps and what kind of facilities you want. If you like the look of Broome/Cable though you should go for it. I wouldn't be put off by the wet season. Mostly just means there'll be a s**t tonne of rain in the afternoons. Having said all that if you're only here for a few days I would be flying up to Broome.. and really anywhere north of the other spots I mentioned.

Monkey Mia is definitely touristy but if you like feeding monkeys then it's the place to go. Kalbarri is also nice and a bit closer. Also has great gorges and a relatively new sky walk which I haven't had a chance to check out myself yet but is magnificent from all reports I've heard.. but it's not a beach so not a priority for you.

Coral Bay and Exmouth are both beautiful too!

Sorry.. bit of a brain dump not overly well organised. :$

Great thanks for that, just what I was hoping for.
I’ll have a look into those places.

I’m leaning towards going higher up, as I’d like guaranteed warmth.
The last few years I have just gone to to the coast down here, but it has still been pretty cold in November.
Actually the weather in Victoria has been garbage for the last few years, more cold days than warm days. And we regularly get Arctic winds, which are as horrendous as they sound.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back