Past #36: Phoenix Spicer - drafted w/ #42 in 2020 ND - delisted end '23 - 12 NM games / 2 NM goals

Remove this Banner Ad

do we have another genuine small forward with pace? most of our other guy, although dangerous at ground level, are more medium forwards -- Zurhaar, Curtis, Sheezel -- or high half-forwards-cum-midfielders -- Taylor, Stepho, Thomas etc. Even Jack Mahony is a small forward in height only but plays more like the latter group
Is that not Drury?

Phoenix has a strong ceiling to be a low possession/high impact small forward.

He's obviously got some significant flaws in his game currently that are holding him back but there is certainly a potential role there for him if he can manage to find the required physicality for AFL level.

I don't get the criticism around Phoenix. We don't need him to be a stodgy, strong over the ball nugget.

He's a speculative pick because while he's raw he has some very enticing attributes - elite pace, agility and looks like he can react and dispose very quickly.

We simply don't have other players like him on our list so he gets a bit more scope to develop. If we had Kosi Pickett and Cody Weightman ripping around our forward line I could see it differently.

Adding to the discussion, I think phoenix and all the forwards benefit from the new forward half recruits as we can play a more balanced structure in the VFL that more closely resembled the afl plan. Phoenix potentially has a clearer role now.

The games he played last year, he seemed to be quite effective as a defensive “threat” in the forward half - chasing, harassing without making too much contact.

From drills and training, is this something that is being improved/looked at by Phoenix and the coaches?

I would love to see this guy make it as his speed and acceleration are electric and he seems to have elite vision as well.

He has a bit of zip but looked all at sea in the VFL 'periods' on Friday.

Hopefully building back fitness.
Just struggling to adapt to the professionalism of AFL football. Late start to preseason was understandable but avoidable and you can tell he’s coming from a long way back.

Phoenix didn't look to be reading the play very well on Friday. He was given a lot of instruction from the boundary line but that didn't seem to work for him either.
So to the good training judges. Has Phoenix Spicer improved over the summer? He reminds me a bit of Gordon Narrier who was on our list a few seasons ago. Fast (in straight lines) but had very soft/weak hands. Gordon didn't last long.

Last season (in flashes) Spicer showed that he can get in the dangerous spots but his hands were weak and (dare I say it) he wasn't seeking to make contact with the opposition. A few more kgs and a bit more muscle this year and I'm hoping that some XXX factor can emerge.

Any chance or Phoenix will spend 2023 in the VFL?

So to the good training judges. Has Phoenix Spicer improved over the summer? He reminds me a bit of Gordon Narrier who was on our list a few seasons ago. Fast (in straight lines) but had very soft/weak hands. Gordon didn't last long.

Last season (in flashes) Spicer showed that he can get in the dangerous spots but his hands were weak and (dare I say it) he wasn't seeking to make contact with the opposition. A few more kgs and a bit more muscle this year and I'm hoping that some XXX factor can emerge.

Any chance or Phoenix will spend 2023 in the VFL?
I've been to a few training sessions and his best hitout was the first one of the year. Was taking the game on during the match sim drills and hitting some lovely 45m passes. Since then I'd say he's regressed. He was more scared of contact in a later training session than he was in the first one. Talent's there, but he's got a mountain of physical and mental work to do to become a regular member of the 22

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been to a few training sessions and his best hitout was the first one of the year. Was taking the game on during the match sim drills and hitting some lovely 45m passes. Since then I'd say he's regressed. He was more scared of contact in a later training session than he was in the first one. Talent's there, but he's got a mountain of physical and mental work to do to become a regular member of the 22

Sometimes he actually looks scared of the footy.

Put a fork in his career

He’s done

Not sure but I support us drafting him regardless of result.

We played it safe with too many 2nd round+ and rookie picks over the 2010-2020 period. If you're going to lose at least do it going for gamechangers.

Phoenix was a pretty raw kid with electric speed and a little bit of 'x-factor' from what we heard at draft time. If he comes off you get someone who can win you games and put bums on seats.

If he doesn't, thanks to all involved and we move on.

Much rather that than taking stodgy one-paced 180cm blokes or Queenslanders (any type really) with no point of difference.

Not sure but I support us drafting him regardless of result.

We played it safe with too many 2nd round+ and rookie picks over the 2010-2020 period. If you're going to lose at least do it going for gamechangers.

Phoenix was a pretty raw kid with electric speed and a little bit of 'x-factor' from what we heard at draft time. If he comes off you get someone who can win you games and put bums on seats.

If he doesn't, thanks to all involved and we move on.

Much rather that than taking stodgy one-paced 180cm blokes or Queenslanders (any type really) with no point of difference.
Yeah no issue on the type of player and it’s a massive need for us but spicer can’t even touch it in an intraclub game.
Looks a good kid

Yeah no issue on the type of player and it’s a massive need for us but spicer can’t even touch it in an intraclub game.
Looks a good kid

You're probably right but lets give him the season. Our 2021-22 are historic lows with leadership and coaching all at sea.

With a structure now hopefully in place and a little more onus on leaders to actually lead, who knows how this will all help the guys who have had to do their development years in such a tattered system to date.

Having a better year in the vfl and looks much bigger and fitter. His field kicking and transition work is also much better.

However, a few issues remain. His contested work is still very average, a few of his tackles aren’t sticking and he’s not putting his head over the ball in contested situations. The tackles is fixable as his general pressure has been really good. The contested stuff can be fixed if he’s willing to put his head over the footy more. I get he is the cream and only slight, but putting your head over the footy is a non-negotiable.

I hope he makes it because he has worked really hard to get fitter and stronger.

I’ve watched a couple of his VFL matches this year & while there has been some improvement….he doesn’t get enough of the footy for mine.

Will be a fair way off regular senior footy I’d think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back