News Marty Frederick signs with Claremont

Remove this Banner Ad

First time in the AFL there has been 2 Sudanese heritage players on one team. Manguru was born in Adelaide and Aliir was born in a refugee camp in Kenya.

North Melbourne v Sydney Rd 22 2016 and Rd 17 2018 Majak Daw and Aliir played against each other. was the first time 2 players of Sudanese heritage took the field for a AFL game.

The second game, they played on each other, Daw kicked 3 of his first 4 goals that day on Aliir and then Aliir was moved forward and he kicked the match winning goal for Sydney with less than 2 minutes to go.

Reckon in 15 years time we might be saying this is the first time a side has fielded 4, maybe even 5 players, of Sudanese heritage.

Edit there has been one other time 2 Sudanese players have been on an AFL field, Rd 23 2016 when Maboir Chol made his debut for Richmond and Aliir was playing his 10th game for Sydney. Chol has only played 21 games and is into his 6th season since his debut.

Last edited:

Thanks to COVID it has been eighteen months since I have seen Martin play but I have been impressed by his speed and his attack on the ball. Cannot recall much about his kicking skills. Definitely worth a look at AFL level so good luck to him.
I don’t think he’s got the most natural or fluent kicking style, but it’s his sidestep and run and repeat running that should be on show tomorrow night. Personally, I’m excited to see if that translates to AFL level. If it does, he becomes an enormous and unexpected bonus for us.

I think that's the best game Frederick has ever played at all levels. Has he legit played a game like this in the SANFL before?
I reckon Marty’s SANFL performances have been underrated on this board for a long time. That’s how he plays whenever I’ve watched him for the Maggies. Run and gun.

Played as if he belonged there. Did his job and some more.

Saints locked the ball in our side of the field, and Mang didn’t hesitate. He kept going on, business as usual.

Awesome debut.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Super fit, found so much space! Also a good turn of pace.
Just needs to get into better sight angles for more received!
Good game!

Was prepared for cat on a hot tin roof, but what we got was calm, collected and methodical. Great first game Marty! Hope he holds a spot at least until Riley Bonner, Lachie Jones and co come knocking again post injury

Great debut! Didn't put a foot wrong. He was composed, even when under pressure, and really took the game on. A really confident game.

Great stuff.

He ran and ran and ran and ran. Sometimes he was used as the option, but a lot of the time he wasn't when he was in great position as well. He just kept trying to find space to help the team. Defensively he was as good as we could have hoped for.

Cracking debut. I didn't think he'd make it but he looks like another player who could become a genuine option.

Clearly has enough talent to make the grade at AFL level. Showed a lot of composure for a debutant. Seems to read the play quite well and is anticipatory rather than reactionary in that regard. Should provide solid cover for our small backs and wings for this year without question.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back