Black Magic: The best Aboriginal 18 of all time:

Remove this Banner Ad

Sibby is still the first to leave home & a better artist than Cyril.

Maybe off the park but not on it....Couldn't take a hanger to save himself.

Sizzles defence is every bit as good as his attacking game.....His tackling ability was second to none.....His forward pressure was off the charts.

Maybe off the park but not on it....Couldn't take a hanger to save himself.

Sizzles defence is every bit as good as his attacking game.....His tackling ability was second to none.....His forward pressure was off the charts.

Well Sibbys shape wasnt about skin folds, the man was a magician, bro Maurice was fit enough for the pair of them.

Might I suggest you re-watch the highlights above of Sizzle in action....Neither Magic nor his bro could match it.

Cyril was good, but will always be second to Maurice.

I'm one of those fortunate one's that have watched all the Rioli's play live, and was regularly seeing Sebbie ( the Keg ) and Maurice "pull the rabbit out of the hat" weekly.

Maurice never needed protection as the teams number 1 midfielder, he provided his own protection.

Cyril was good, but will always be second to Maurice.

I'm one of those fortunate one's that have watched all the Rioli's play live, and was regularly seeing Sebbie ( the Keg ) and Maurice "pull the rabbit out of the hat" weekly.

Maurice never needed protection as the teams number 1 midfielder, he provided his own protection.

I saw Maurice too....and sorry, he couldn't do half the stuff Sizzle did.....Not even Buddy could.

Needs more Marleon Pickett.
Hadyn Bunton and Fyfe are only players to avg ≥ 1 Brownlow vote/game but Pickett only player to avg ≥ 1 premiership/game

Needs more Marleon Pickett. Hadyn Bunton and Fyfe are only players to avg ≥ 1 Brownlow vote/game but Pickett only player to avg ≥ 1 premiership/game

No, he's not the only player to have done that....but he is certainly the first indigenous player to have done so.

Needs more Marleon Pickett.
Hadyn Bunton and Fyfe are only players to avg ≥ 1 Brownlow vote/game but Pickett only player to avg ≥ 1 premiership/game
Pickett is not even the first Richmond player to manage that - Billy James did the same thing 99 years earlier!!: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_James_(Australian_footballer)

As things stand, Pickett and James are the only players with a career record of 1 VFL/AFL game for a Grand Final/Premiership win. Pickett is now the 5th player to have won a Premiership after just one game - three of the others went on to play more games, as he himself is highly likely to do!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might I suggest you re-watch the highlights above of Sizzle in action....Neither Magic nor his bro could match it.

Mate I've seen them all play, dont need short clips to make a decision, & unlike your good self, I'm not looking thru club goggles in a conversation that is being reduced to Hawks & Tiges fans pumping up their own tyres.

Comparing players across eras is moot, even harder when you can only rely on grainy film. You only have to look at trying to compare Olympic champions.

We do compare them by stats though & this is the point where Cyril is the exception to that rule.....He may only have had 10 possessions in a game, but he has probably laid 4-5 tackles, caused 3-4 turn-overs due to his forward pressure & been involved in the most scoring chains of any other Hawk player because of it.

We do compare them by stats though & this is the point where Cyril is the exception to that rule.....He may only have had 10 possessions in a game, but he has probably laid 4-5 tackles, caused 3-4 turn-overs due to his forward pressure & been involved in the most scoring chains of any other Hawk player because of it.

Stats only support Sibbys case .....

How about a little bit of Derek Kickett? Was a treat to watch when on song.

How about a little bit of Derek Kickett? Was a treat to watch when on song.

….here’s a Dennis Cometti classic call from the nineties:

Brereton: And the ball spills free to Kickett …

Cometti: Troy Cook you mean?

Brereton: Yes, well, they do look rather alike …

Cometti: How so Dermott?

Brereton: [Realising that sounded rather racist] Um, well, they are both, er …

Cometti: Midfielders, yes Dermott.

Denis coached Derek at West Perth when he debuted in 1984:

….here’s a Dennis Cometti classic call from the nineties:

Brereton: And the ball spills free to Kickett …

Cometti: Troy Cook you mean?

Brereton: Yes, well, they do look rather alike …

Cometti: How so Dermott?

Brereton: [Realising that sounded rather racist] Um, well, they are both, er …

Cometti: Midfielders, yes Dermott.

Denis coached Derek at West Perth when he debuted in 1984:
Centremeter perfect save from Dennis there XD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back