Opinion Ranking the AFL midfield - BJ Goddard

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree - but his list is there to create debate.

Just a reminder....This was the same tool who said that Worpel had gone backwards as a footballer during the middle of this year.....That's the same 21 year old kid who is already a starting regular inside the square & who just won our Best & Fairest in 2019.

Need I say Anymore?....He's a moron who makes Kane Cornes look like a genius.

Just a reminder....This was the same tool who said that Worpel had gone backwards as a footballer during the middle of this year.....That's the same 21 year old kid who is already a starting regular inside the square & who just won our Best & Fairest in 2019.

Need I say Anymore?....He's a moron who makes Kane Cornes look like a genius.
Again I agree with you. But this whole site is based around debate. Goddard has started it with making a list.

You can put your list up.

Too much work & way too many variables involved.....A pointless exercise.

I'm happy with our starting 4 of McEvoy, Mitchell, O'Meara & Worpel….With both Smith & Henderson on the wings, that's a solid midfield right there....The major flaw would be inside pace, which was why we chased Coniglio so hard....Our 2 outside wingmen certainly make-up for any lack there....Both beautiful kicks of the ball also.

Our Second string would comprise Ceglar, Shiels, Wingard & Howe.....With Scully & Impey (When he returns later-on from an ACL) as the rotations on the wings.....We will also have Cousins & Maginness developing.....Burgoyne can also still pinch hit in there when required, once every quarter.

Really think Essendon's midfield stinks. Their only line-breaking power mid is a turnover merchant and the rest of them are a little one paced.

Also think they erred in selecting McGrath (who I think is going to be a good player) ahead of Tarranto and McGluggage; not to mention taking Parish and Francis ahead of Hopper.

How DoDildo has kept his job for so long is beyond me. He's had over 15 years to reshape Essendon's list following their period of success in the late 90s - early 00s and they haven't won a final since 2004!!!! Gotta love them though :$

Goddard has ranked the midfeilds:

1 GWS
2 WCE
3 Pies
4 Richmond
5 Lions
6 Cats
7 Dogs
8 Dees
9 Ess
10 Hawks
11 Port
12 Roos
13 Saints
14 Blues
15 Crows
16 Swans
17 Freo
18 Suns

Thoughts?
Never thought id see the Swans as near the bottom of a list for this position

I had us about 10th this time last season. Now with the emergence of Worpel and the return of Mitchell (plus the late 2019 form of Wingard), i'd place us in the top 8.
Mitchell, Worpel, O'Meara, Wingard, Shiels. If they all stay fit it's as strong as most in the league. The one area we do struggle is for depth in this area. Hopefully Finn Maginness becomes a star as quickly as Worpel has to add even more potency.

For the record, GWS, Dogs, Colingwood and West Coast are my top 4. Richmond not far off and Brisbane looking formidable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had us about 10th this time last season. Now with the emergence of Worpel and the return of Mitchell (plus the late 2019 form of Wingard), i'd place us in the top 8.
Mitchell, Worpel, O'Meara, Wingard, Shiels. If they all stay fit it's as strong as most in the league. The one area we do struggle is for depth in this area. Hopefully Finn Maginness becomes a star as quickly as Worpel has to add even more potency.

For the record, GWS, Dogs, Colingwood and West Coast are my top 4. Richmond not far off and Brisbane looking formidable.

Our wingmen are the best in the league….no one can match the combo of Smith, Hendo & Scully.

Probably should have considered wingman, but I was mainly focusing on starting inside midfielders. I'm hoping Will Day adds his name to your list in the coming years also!

The heading stipulates 'Midfield'....Not 'inside midfield'.

Add our wingmen into the equation & we are easily Top 4 in 2020.

Dogs 7th? At minimum I'd say we are 4th.

Two 2019 All Australian midfielders in Bontempelli & Macrae. Dunkley made the squad of 40. In fact, Bont is a top 5 midfielder, Macrae a top 10 and Dunkley a top 15 midfielder of the competition. We also probably have the best depth of any club + all of the starting midfield in the team below are 25 or under.

C: B Smith - Bontempelli - Hunter
R: English - Macrae - Dunkley

With guys like Libba, Wallis, McLean, Lipinski and West as depth/rotations.

I'll concede on paper GWS & West Coast look better, but I'd have us ahead of Richmond in 4th comfortably. Probably ahead of Collingwood too.
Richmond's top 3 - Martin, Cotch & Prestia vs Dogs top 3 - Bontempelli, Macrae & Dunkley is at least even. Martin & Cotchin = Bontempelli & Macrae while Prestia = Dunkley, but after the top 3 we bat so much deeper.

Last edited:
For overall balance it's hard to go past a top 4 of West Coast, Brisbane, Richmond and the Giants.

Collingwood, Melbourne and Western Bulldogs are a bit too unbalanced with their inside/outside ratio for me, Geelong lacks depth and Hawthorn a little one paced, Essendon a tad small. The rest have some other major concerns.
Really think Essendon's midfield stinks. Their only line-breaking power mid is a turnover merchant and the rest of them are a little one paced.

Also think they erred in selecting McGrath (who I think is going to be a good player) ahead of Tarranto and McGluggage; not to mention taking Parish and Francis ahead of Hopper.

How DoDildo has kept his job for so long is beyond me. He's had over 15 years to reshape Essendon's list following their period of success in the late 90s - early 00s and they haven't won a final since 2004!!!! Gotta love them though :$
Yes, Essendon should have drafted GWS's Academy player. Which would have been matched. Brilliant idea.

Yes, Essendon should have drafted GWS's Academy player. Which would have been matched. Brilliant idea.

lel meth-dog...

Thoughts on taking a very good back pocket ahead of 2 bona fide midfield jets? Or are you just going to go ahead and ignore that part? Sort of how Dodoro continues to ignore good footballers...

lel meth-dog...

Thoughts on taking a very good back pocket ahead of 2 bona fide midfield jets? Or are you just going to go ahead and ignore that part? Sort of how Dodoro continues to ignore good footballers...
So original. Only the 164842695th time I've been called that

McGrath will be a very good midfielder, how about we wait a little while before we judge him? I mean he's 21.

As for "ignoring good footballers", Heppell, Merrett, Hibberd, Hurley, Hooker, Daniher are all former All Australian team members that have been drafted by Dodoro.

The fear in this thread is palpable

So original. Only the 164842695th time I've been called that

McGrath will be a very good midfielder, how about we wait a little while before we judge him? I mean he's 21.

As for "ignoring good footballers", Heppell, Merrett, Hibberd, Hurley, Hooker, Daniher are all former All Australian team members that have been drafted by Dodoro.

The fear in this thread is palpable

haha gotta love deluded tullamarine supporters! Backed Jimbo Hird all the way through, and have continued to back in the Dodo - who's been about as useful as an ejecting seat on a helicopter, for almost 20years.

haha gotta love deluded tullamarine supporters! Backed Jimbo Hird all the way through, and have continued to back in the Dodo - who's been about as useful as an ejecting seat on a helicopter, for almost 20years.
You clearly have nfi. I'm not saying he's a great List Manager but to say that he "ignores good players" when he's drafted more All Australians than Collingwood since 2004 (when he started being List Manager in earnest) is simply incorrect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back