Roast Gerard Whateley’s Rant on AFL360 (22/08/19)

Remove this Banner Ad

Port from 1 hour mark

I think the whole camp fiasco f’ed Pyke in the eyes of the media. He's nigel no friends.

That news conference with him and Bird Brain last year, is hands down the most awful, awkward, pointless news conference of all time.

Lol that moment when they called the press conference then went alright boys what are we here to discuss

Lol yes.

"So. What's crackalacking lads?"

Port from 1 hour mark

David King screwing Kane’s bullsh¡t to the wall.

I especially loved the part where Kane said, “there’s a financial aspect to all this, they’re not paying the full cap, so they’re short a $600-$700k midfielder and I’d be furious about that if I was Ken coaching for my job”.

Then in the same train of thought he’s trying to defend against the failure of Rockliff, Motlop, Watts and Lycett* by saying he’s dropped them to the SANFL, as if that reflects well on Ken.

How much f**king salary cap is that not taking the field?

King driving the point home by saying he’s been there since 2013 and how many goes at that sort of thing do you get was wonderful. As was sanctimonious Gerard’s silence.

I get what he is trying to say, and agree on some points, but the frustration is on how many seasons have we thrown away now. I accept we will have him as our coach next year, but no finals again next year is unacceptable.

Port from 1 hour mark

Kane’s opening comments were a clumsy attempt to put pressure on Koch.

I get what he is trying to say, and agree on some points, but the frustration is on how many seasons have we thrown away now. I accept we will have him as our coach next year, but no finals again next year is unacceptable.
It's been unacceptable for 5 years I'm not sure what more you need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon many past players would find the just rocking up to win flags in the SANFL stuff insulting.

The thing too, is it’s all relative.

We reduced powerhouse Glenelg and North Adelaide outfits to irrelevance and relegated a similarly-sized institution in Norwood to permanent obscurity.

While the focus is always on a key point of difference between say, zones and the draft, the reality is Port is where it is today because the likes of Bruce Weber were prepared to make tough decisions.

Are we even in the AFL today if Russell Ebert and his failed tenure was allowed to endure?

Because if we think the happyclappers and media are behind Ken Hinkley’s institutionalised mediocrity then holy smokes...

Probably 1 more year. Our kids are going to be good, and I want to see our trade strategy this year. If you were absolutely truthful to yourself, you probably had Port just sneaking into the 8. That is exactly where we are. I know I had them between 8 and 10.

This reminds me of flying high.jpg Flying High

Probably 1 more year. Our kids are going to be good, and I want to see our trade strategy this year. If you were absolutely truthful to yourself, you probably had Port just sneaking into the 8. That is exactly where we are. I know I had them between 8 and 10.

It's the way we lost the games we lost that burns. That's something that can only be judged after the fact. Reflecting on the pre-season prediction is kind of pointless because you didn't know at the time that we would lose games that we absolutely should have won had it not been for self sabotage.

This is where Gerard, Kane and Rucci miss the point of what Kingy and the majority of Port Adelaide supporters see. Those three and the David Puddy of Port supporters with their "gotta support the team" bullshit miss. We loaded up on youth the past off season to make up for the fact that from years 2015-2018 we under Ken's coaching missed the boat and squandered a great list. We recruited in that period to win a premiership by adding Dixon, Ryder, Motlop, Rockliff and Watts amongst others to top up what we thought and should've been a top 4-6 list. We missed terribly in that period with a total of one final appearance. That's all we had to show for the list, and the recruiting done for Ken. Now all of a sudden Ken should be allowed to see through his next attempt at a rebuild based on evidence he cannot coach through it and get any sort of positive result. The proof is there, it cannot be disputed by anyone.

What other coach over a 7 year period has had every recruit he has asked for, had a plethora of assistant coaches come in to help him, some of the better ones in the system and ended up with a sum of nothing at the end of it.

As for being allowed to see his next rebuild through, what evidence is there Ken develops players to the level required. At the end of 2014 you'd have a case to say we had 2 of the best 5 under 23 players in the game in Wingard and Wines. Get to the end of 2019 Wines is a shell of that player now, nowhere near the level expected, and Wingard isn't even at the club having had his prodigious talent wasted in a gameplan that didn't suit him, and through parts of his own fault as well. So Ken couldn't develop those two to where they should've been, what's to say he can do it with Rozee, Duursma, Butters, Hayes etc now. There is no evidence he can.

Instead of Gerard in his high horse, Kane being Kane, and Rucci playing financial advisor and the moral judge of Port Adelaide supporters they should sit back like David King did and look at the facts of our life under Ken. It is galling and time for change. It's indisputable now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back