Past #26: Daniel Nielson - won't be offered a new contract - thanks for your efforts Dan

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed, also McKay for Taz, Larkey for Waite (not like for like though) and Murphy for Wright in the long-term.
Reckon Daw for Waite is the good sauce.
That being said when we get Zurhaar and Garns back in, with Walker, Brown's crumbs should be going our way a bit more.

Neilson has to stay. He's going to be a gun defender for someone. Rather it be us.

Like most I think he's ahead of Watson and Durdin however North either has a different opinion or mismanaged the contracts.

Worried 2 useful players in Dan and also Dec (my favourite of the youf) are going to be lost.

Considering Dan is in the same boat as Jacobs, LMac and half a dozen others who have no idea on contracts, I suspect there maybe other factors at play.
For Neilson, is it as simple as seeing how Waite plays out the season? If he goes, they'd be loath to move Thompson on as well, meaning Nielson may get one year more? Or if Thomspon goes, too, then it's a longer deal?

Like most I think he's ahead of Watson and Durdin however North either has a different opinion or mismanaged the contracts.

Worried 2 useful players in Dan and also Dec (my favourite of the youf) are going to be lost.

Really hard to judge Watson. How much have most of us seen of him? I’ve only seen glimpses and thought he looked ok.

Neilson is a dour defender and unless you're extremely good like Morris and Talia then your value is limited to the team.

So much today is based on transitions that he is a bit of a liability here.

I like the kid, tries his guts out but would be a good fit at the Saints or Dogs.

Neilson is a dour defender and unless you're extremely good like Morris and Talia then your value is limited to the team.

So much today is based on transitions that he is a bit of a liability here.

I like the kid, tries his guts out but would be a good fit at the Saints or Dogs.

I agree to some extent with your evaluation of Nielsen, but I don't agree that he limits our side.

In future, if we came up against a team that had only a mid sized KPF, then Nielsen's "lock down" style would allow someone like McKay to move around and become a more potent intercept player, or even swing in to the ruck/forward.

Most side have a mid forward that needs locking down (LeCras, Stringer, Bontempelli etc.).

How's his disposal been in the 2nd half of the year for any VFL watchers? I noticed a few games early in the year making horrendous clangers in the back half leading to goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where do you rank him compared to McKay and Durdin on form this year?
Rate him above Durdin, McKay and Nielson are different defenders as in Nielson is more competitive and over the last month Nielson has been a standout between the 2 in my opinion

Where do you rank him compared to McKay and Durdin on form this year?

McKay is head and shoulders better than both Nielson and Durdin. By rights he should be playing senior footy.

Durdin’s best is better than Nielson, but he has too many WTF moments. Nielson has a low upside but he competes and is consistent.

Have to agree to disagree on that one , have you watched all Vfl games? Coz unless you’re there you don’t see the big picture, I Like McKay as well and he’s a great mark , like I said they are different defenders, Nielson locks down his players so no one passes the ball to them , doesn’t give them freedom and also assists a lot of time when others are going for the ball to block out other players , etc he does all the 1 percenters unbelievabley well McKay not so much likess to have more space to work in and is nowhere near as good as Nielsen on the deck, again just my opinion and everyone has a different one

I feel they have all been a bit unlucky this year with the form of our key defenders at AFL level. I really liked what I saw of Nielson at AFL level last year but I get the feeling he is going to be squeezed out.

I feel they have all been a bit unlucky this year with the form of our key defenders at AFL level. I really liked what I saw of Nielson at AFL level last year but I get the feeling he is going to be squeezed out.
I agree all of them have been playing fantastic footy and deserve a shot

His disposal has improved as the years gone on as has his is 1 on 1 marking. He uses his body well to force the opposition under the ball and then pluck the mark. I honestly think if he doesnt get a gig with us then he will be picked up again and will most likely play senior footy straight away.

Have to agree to disagree on that one , have you watched all Vfl games? Coz unless you’re there you don’t see the big picture, I Like McKay as well and he’s a great mark , like I said they are different defenders, Nielson locks down his players so no one passes the ball to them , doesn’t give them freedom and also assists a lot of time when others are going for the ball to block out other players , etc he does all the 1 percenters unbelievabley well McKay not so much likess to have more space to work in and is nowhere near as good as Nielsen on the deck, again just my opinion and everyone has a different one

I’ve seen plenty of VFL live.

McKay is different level to Nielson. Yes, different players. McKay is a legit KPD prospect, can shut down the big forwards and offer an attacking option. Nielson pure lockdown, likely unable to go with the bigger forwards at a higher level. Doesn’t offer a lot offensively. But I could see him doing a pure blanket job at AFL level on the right type of opponent. I quite like him though and think we could do with that type in the seniors.

Durdin is probably comparable to McKay in terms of ability, just doesn’t seem to have the consistency.

Absolutely. I wonder if we saw Thompson’s form being as good as it has been? That was potentially the spot that was going to open up.

With EVW, going down, that was potentially an opportunity for Nielson. I guess his form just wasn’t quite there at the time.

I’ve seen plenty of VFL live.

McKay is different level to Nielson. Yes, different players. McKay is a legit KPD prospect, can shut down the big forwards and offer an attacking option. Nielson pure lockdown, likely unable to go with the bigger forwards at a higher level. Doesn’t offer a lot offensively. But I could see him doing a pure blanket job at AFL level on the right type of opponent. I quite like him though and think we could do with that type in the seniors.

Durdin is probably comparable to McKay in terms of ability, just doesn’t seem to have the consistency.
Would definitely be good to see them both playing side by side in the afl , see how they go, agree with durds, great kid, but hasn’t been consistent, then had the incident happen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back