Season 2015..

Remove this Banner Ad

When Hodgson from Albury tells others they should catch up to them does he mean start poaching kids from other clubs?
Some didn't come direct from their original club but still Albury decided to blow them out of the water when they hoped they would return home.
A few that come to mind are -
Dureah - Corowa
Hallandale - Lavington
McClean - Lavington
Harrison & Allen - Benalla (when they were in O&M)
Cassidy - Wodonga
Foubister - Rovers
Thompson - Raiders
Hampton - Lavington
Mackie - Nth Albury
Bush - Nth Albury
A Carey, J Carey - Myrtleford
S Daly - Corowa
Shir - Wodonga

See Albury president Stuart Podgson on Win last night challenging clubs to get "To their level". I reckon the rest of the clubs in the comp would be challenging him to see how he went without the 1 resource that makes their club what it is. Take Joss away and the competition becomes level. Kosi resigning will make the structure of the Panthers forward line interesting.
What was the go when Rovers dominated the comp 40 years ago?

Agree - "great little communities" where nobody lives anymore, so they import players at a cost to keep something alive that really does not exist anymore!
Been on both side of O&M and these little communities and 8 netball teams and 4 footy sides provide a great family set up. In reverse at u16 girls and u18 boys the Corowa/Rutherglen's have entice these families away to a better grade of sport, that not easy. Aways plenty of egos, money and opinions involved.
At the moment O&M looks unattractive to many and that's a shame.

What was the go wihen Rovers dominated the comp 40 years ago?
Society has changed a lot since those days of the 70-80s, footy was everything, and to be honest i'd love to go back to those days, there was still a lot of players coming from the city but more of them made the region home and haven't drifted away.
Rovers had a super culture back then with some very strong personalities. The likes of Norman, Holmes, Smith, Burt through to the Wilsons, Pasqualie, Walker of later eras just to name a few, there was plenty of talent around Wang, like most towns these days, the numbers just aren't there anymore

Been on both side of O&M and these little communities and 8 netball teams and 4 footy sides provide a great family set up. In reverse at u16 girls and u18 boys the Corowa/Rutherglen's have entice these families away to a better grade of sport, that not easy. Aways plenty of egos, money and opinions involved.
At the moment O&M looks unattractive to many and that's a shame.
Spot on. There are a lot of clubs in the minor leagues that are struggling purely because of numbers, but those that are doing well is generally due to engagement with players and family also the local supporters. A lot of OM Clubs appear to be elitist and don't focus enough on the family element. To be honest Tallangatta and Hume leagues at the moment are similar to what OM was thirty years ago, fun and inclusive.

When Hodgson from Albury tells others they should catch up to them does he mean start poaching kids from other clubs?
Some didn't come direct from their original club but still Albury decided to blow them out of the water when they hoped they would return home.
A few that come to mind are -
Dureah - Corowa
Hallandale - Lavington
McClean - Lavington
Harrison & Allen - Benalla (when they were in O&M)
Cassidy - Wodonga
Foubister - Rovers
Thompson - Raiders
Hampton - Lavington
Mackie - Nth Albury
Bush - Nth Albury
A Carey, J Carey - Myrtleford
S Daly - Corowa
Shir - Wodonga
How do albury's under 18s and fringe senior players feel about this to go along with their current recruiting, how many players that played in last years premiership came through their thirds?
I thought the whole idea of the points system was to promote your juniors and top up with a couple of recruits but albury are just going for all out recruit whoever they want even if they don't need them, is that even good for them in the long term?

On another note it would be good to see with corowa on their knees, wouldn't t great if all the houlihans came back and played together for the season to help the club out, I'm sure Damien could still be a handful in the square for a few games

If every Club stopped paying players then people will still play football & you would more than likely play for the town you live in.
Then clubs would have to develop their locals instead is buying recruits for success, local coaches are overrated as most buy success n dont develop it.

How do albury's under 18s and fringe senior players feel about this to go along with their current recruiting, how many players that played in last years premiership came through their thirds?
I thought the whole idea of the points system was to promote your juniors and top up with a couple of recruits but albury are just going for all out recruit whoever they want even if they don't need them, is that even good for them in the long term?

On another note it would be good to see with corowa on their knees, wouldn't t great if all the houlihans came back and played together for the season to help the club out, I'm sure Damien could still be a handful in the square for a few games
I have heard the Houlihan family offered to do just that a season or two ago but were knocked back.

Albury have got it won now. How about give them the cup and tell them not to bother playing an official match. The other 9 sides can just play a comp against each other for second.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone noticed that Albury have been signing a lot of these guys to 3 year deals? In the end it's pretty smart, these guys will be worth 1 point by the time there contract expires.. So I'd expect another big recruiting spree in 2/3 years..

I believe administrators have been left with the power to alter clubs point caps ie giving extra points to struggling clubs. Should we see the oppersite and strip Albury of 5 or 6 points?Something has to be done or clubs and possibly the league will fold in 5-10 years time. When playing Albury clubs are opening the gates at a loss because no one wants to go see their team get pumped so viciously.

I believe administrators have been left with the power to alter clubs point caps ie giving extra points to struggling clubs. Should we see the oppersite and strip Albury of 5 or 6 points?Something has to be done or clubs and possibly the league will fold in 5-10 years time. When playing Albury clubs are opening the gates at a loss because no one wants to go see their team get pumped so viciously.
I thought that was the point of the points system macgyver, what happens to albury players if afl north-east drop their points to 35 or even 30, what happens to these 3 year contracts, by giving albury the same points as everyone is going to open a can of worms for next season, as there is disgruntlement already at what appears to be an uneven comp that keeping the points the same for everyone is. My thoughts why the points system was introduced was trying to allieviate the trend of the top teams continuing to improve and the weaker teams becoming less competitive, as their players leave to play finals, where the weaker teams then are paying big money to players so they can field a team.
There seems to have been little thought gone into the points system for the O&M as there is big differences in all towns competing in the league, really all the hubs should be working together to allocate similar points, or there is no point in the exercise. At present it seems what albury is doing would be like hawthorn getting the first pick in the draft each year, whilst corowa and myrtlford only enter the draft in the 4th round

We always here the league big wigs talking about how good the league is, blah blah blah, i think there is no better proof about how much Albury and to a lesser extent Yarra have ruined this league, you only have to look at the interleague side, we are now being beaten by sides that 15 years ago wouldn't be fit to carry our bags into the ground. Most of of rep side these days comes from 3-4 sides, it's not healthy at all.

Is there any news coming out of North Albury or Corowa have they signed anyone Or looked like recruiting anyone since there bulk departures?

Is there any news coming out of North Albury or Corowa have they signed anyone Or looked like recruiting anyone since there bulk departures?

I see Aker missed out on the essendon job. The other person must of had the inside running according to Aker!! Wouldn't have been that that person was better suited to the job!

What will be the ramifications for North Alb of Aker staying put? Players coming, going or a bit of both?

Lavington spend just as much as Albury, look at big names like Kosi and Prior. They also just signed Corowa's best player Gestier who would be on a large amount of cash per game. They have gone and offered him Big dollars that a small club like Corowa had no chance of matching. They did the same with Prior when he returned from WA. Lavi helping Albury ruin the league. At least the tigers can recruit without taking chunks of talent out of smaller clubs in the league.

Lavington spend just as much as Albury, look at big names like Kosi and Prior. They also just signed Corowa's best player Gestier who would be on a large amount of cash per game. They have gone and offered him Big dollars that a small club like Corowa had no chance of matching. They did the same with Prior when he returned from WA. Lavi helping Albury ruin the league. At least the tigers can recruit without taking chunks of talent out of smaller clubs in the league.

I honestly think the Albury Football Club's player payments would be 3rd or 4th in the league if all the books were opened up. I'm saying this with a straight face!

The big difference is the above award wages that Albury players get whilst working for the club sponsor(s), the company vehicles they drive around the countryside in, the flights to or from wherever it is they live and the lovely gifts that some of them receive along the way e.g a trailer full of work tools or a Malibu boat.

No denying Lavi would be spending their fair share of cash, but to suggest having a team made up of predominately locals and local juniors with some additional talent on top is ruining the comp is a bit rich!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back