Retired #10: Mark McVeigh - Appointed coach of GWS Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: #10: Mark McVeigh - Beat Alex Fasolo in "Lou's Handball"

Fasolo was genuinely dirty on himself when he kept on missing. Pretty funny, as I've never seen anyone take Lou's Handball that seriously. He might have been taking the proverbial urine, but going on past form perhaps he wasn't.

I think the Spikelet is just sticking his foot in the door for a media career. He can at least talk (and backchat) on camera with the SFS folks, and for some reason I don't see him coaching. He's not a fantastic media performer, but the standards are SO INCREDIBLY LOW for ex-footballers that he'll be set for life.

this is all i could think as i was watching brett kirk talking to the camera pre game yesterday. absolutely shocking.

Haven't seen it yet, but I hear marvelous things. If it could be YouTube'd it would be much appreciated, because it sounds like a thing to behold.

Re: #10: Mark McVeigh - Much better against Port

Winning the handball will probably be Spikes highlight of the year tbh

this is all i could think as i was watching brett kirk talking to the camera pre game yesterday. absolutely shocking.

We actually thought he was doing a MacAvaney impersonation. It was just creepy and weird.

Can someone tell me what McVeigh's role in the forward line is? He's got one goal and zero goal assists. To put that in perspective, Reimers last six games netted 11 goals and 7 goal assists. Had Reimers put in two games like that he would've been back to Bendigo quicker than we could blink.

Yes he was improved but that's not saying much taking into account what he dished up in Round 1.

One thing that is a major worry with McVeigh is his total lack of pressure when he hasn't got the football, only 2 tackles in 2 games and that's not good enough. Our whole fwd line has to improve in that area though, Jetta(3 tackles in 2 games), Hurley(1 tackle) and Crameri(4 tackles) have all been poor in that regard.

To me it seems Spike's kicking depth has fallen off and he hasn't realised. His kicks are constantly falling a few metres short when trying to hit up a target.

Funny how it is alright when he stuffs up but not when others do.

Has to be on thin ice but injuries will keep him in the side and like I said last week, it is up to the guys at Bendigo to force their way in at his expense.

Having said all of that, it was a better effort than round 1 though that wouldn't be hard tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tbf, defenders usually get to take it out of the back-line at their own pace 'cause they mark the long bomb to the goal square....

They take it out under no pressure because our forwards don't work hard enough. 1 tackle a game from McVeigh, 3 tackles in 2 games from Jetta and 1 tackle in 2 games from Hurley is pathetic when you look a West Coast and how much pressure they apply so that they can force a turnover (Jack Darling 13 Tackles and Josh Hill 11 tackles).

Gussy Monfries has been good in this area with 10 tackles and also our mids have been great so far especially Howlett and Jobe but we are really getting let down by the forward line.

But anyway back on topic of McVeigh and the question that Smyth94 asked about what his role is....I would not have a clue and he doesn't seem to add anything offensively or defensively to the fwd line. I am hoping that when Winders and Colyer are ready to come back into the side that one of them replaces Spike and adds a bit of spice to the fwd line.

"Leadership".

It's honestly all that I can see him adding, and even then I think players deserve better from their leaders than constant pointing of the finger and piss poor body language.

At first I assumed he'd play Winderlich's role of the lead up, defensive forward. Pretty much what Monfries does most of the time, too.

But he's barely done anything offensively, and from what I've seen (admittedly I only watched Round 2 on TV), he's not doing anything defensively, either.

Re: #10: Mark McVeigh - What is his role as a forward?

feel sorry for him wish he was still as good as he was in 08 or 09 cant remember but was our best player too bad one of my favourites would of liked to see him win a premiership but now if his contract runs out this year he should be one of the first to be dropped but hirdy wouldn't do that so i see him doing the same a welsh last year bleeds red and black he will do the rite thing by the club

Oh... I really wish Spike would see the end of the tunnel and let go gracefully. I, along with most of you, am loathe to 'hate' on such a passionate player who, truthfully, has given the best of himself to the club. I can only hope that the coaching panel and Mark will have a chat and a last hurrah organised, perhaps against Melbourne this week, so that we can say goodbye.

Unfortunately age, injury and a lack of pace have meant that McVeigh is no longer able to compete as I am sure he wants to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back