Goulburn Valley FL - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't be so sure on Brown. I know he is still talking to a couple of clubs

all players introduced to brown tonite at training and was welcomed by the president as new player to the club what shepp news on write up soon and theres more to come believe me it will be a big annocement to come shortly to join the circus

Brown reunited with mates at Swans

Nathan D. Brown was relatively inconspicuous to most for a man who played 146 AFL games in 10 seasons with Melbourne.
More fanfare always surrounded his namesake, Nathan G. Brown, of Western Bulldogs and Richmond fame.
For once, the spotlight, at least in the Goulburn Valley Football League, will turn to Nathan D. Brown this season.
The 33-year-old will reunite with former Melbourne teammates Adem Yze and Russell Robertson at Shepparton Swans after signing earlier this week.
``You finish footy down town and you look to see where you can go and play with a few mates,'' Brown said.
``Not only `Ooze' (Yze) and `Robbo' (Robertson), but Damien (Yze), `Rumma' (Ramadan Yze), Perry (Meka) and Nick (Diker).
``It's been late coming together, but here we are we'll have a crack and hopefully a bit of fun along the way.''
Brown is originally from the South Australian town of Pinnaroo, about 240 km east of Adelaide.
The gutsy midfielder was drafted to Melbourne from West Adelaide with pick 66 in 1997.
He enjoyed his best AFL season in 2004, averaging 18 touches in 22 games and finishing second in the Demons' best and fairest.
Brown captained West Adelaide in 2008 and made the odd appearance for Victorian amateur side Old Scotch last year after retiring at the end of 2007.
``You finish at the elite level and as long as you can still run around it's always good to have a kick somewhere,'' Brown said.
``You take a step back from where it's your life and your livelihood and you just enjoy getting back to grassroots footy.''
Brown works at the Rialto Towers and will train in Melbourne with the likes of Robertson and Yze.
The Swans have also signed former Collingwood VFL player Attila Yaman.
Yaman kicked 114 goals for Swinburne University in the Victorian amateurs division four competition last year.
The 20-year-old was lured to Princess Park through playing cricket with Damien Yze at East Box Hill.
``I needed a bit of a break, so I took a year off football last year and played with a few school mates at Swinburne,'' Yaman said. ``I lost interest, but I missed it a bit too much and a few people knew I had a few skills and didn't want that to go to waste

Stick to discussing football, personal snipes or snipes at clubs aren't welcomed upon here, no matter who or what club it is , especially by People who go to great lengths to remain anonymous or are alias' users , last warning before infractions commence !!

Stick to discussing football, personal snipes or snipes at clubs aren't welcomed upon here, no matter who or what club it is , especially by People who go to great lengths to remain anonymous or are alias' users , last warning before infractions commence !!

About time sniping was put to bed if you like snipping put your name to it Good onya PTF!!!!!! :D

Still nothing out of Benalla on recruiting, hope they don't have another season like 09.

Benalla are basically in a bit of a rebuilding phase at the moment. Unlike other clubs who have gone all out to buy premierships, Benalla are putting a lot of work into the areas talented younger players, which should pay dividends in the next few years. The Saints have the nucleus of a good side, and should look forward to hopefully getting full seasons out of quality players such as Mark Mackenzie, Ben Fahey, James Martiniello and Sam Harris who have all had torrid times with injury.

Does he have ties with Rochy ?
I'd say the Guy Campbell factor got him there.

He goes with Echuca's blessing, wouldn't be in our best 30 players. Has a high opinion of his own football ability, wanted dollars, has hardly played seniors (maybe 25 games), trained infrequently, isn't fit and Echuca will look forward to playing against him.
Obviously not a fan, yeehaaaaaaaaaaaa?! :D I'll be watching with interest to see how he goes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm gunna throw this one out there - Shepp have always, as long as I've been in the GV (15 yrs), had a reasonably poor following/gate takings. With a bit of a player exodus coupled with the coaching appointment debacle earlier on, what can we expect at their home games this season. The gate man, the canteen lady and a couple of people running around on Deakin & the netty courts. It will definitely make it hard for them to put some $$$'s in the bank. Could be a long year for the bears:confused: In saying that I also went to a few United games last year, and their following didn't seem to be a hell of a lot better. Will there be a time in the not too distant future where Deakin will have only 1 tennant? And it probably wont be Central Park St Brendans either! ha ha

I'm gunna throw this one out there - Shepp have always, as long as I've been in the GV (15 yrs), had a reasonably poor following/gate takings. With a bit of a player exodus coupled with the coaching appointment debacle earlier on, what can we expect at their home games this season. The gate man, the canteen lady and a couple of people running around on Deakin & the netty courts. It will definitely make it hard for them to put some $$$'s in the bank. Could be a long year for the bears:confused: In saying that I also went to a few United games last year, and their following didn't seem to be a hell of a lot better. Will there be a time in the not too distant future where Deakin will have only 1 tennant? And it probably wont be Central Park St Brendans either! ha ha

def a long year 4 shepp with 14 players confirmed gone.......

Defender taking confident outlook back to Sale
Craig Flint was an ideal target for Craig Kelly upon arriving as Mansfield coach last year.
Kelly, a defensive general in Collingwood's 1990 AFL premiership, immediately urged Flint to show more leadership in Mansfield's backline.
Flint answered his coach's call and was a defensive star as Mansfield captured its second Goulburn Valley league premiership.
The former Carlton rookie has taken his new-found confidence back home to be an assistant coach with Gippsland league side Sale this season.
```Ned' (Kelly) brings a lot of good qualities out of blokes,'' Flint said.
``Coaching is always something I've been interested in but I was a bit quiet on the field.
``Ned put it on me to take more control on the ground and my leadership skills improved. I'm confident having more responsibility now.''
Flint has already returned home to work as estimator.
The 22-year-old has lived in Melbourne since being rookie-listed by Carlton in the 2005 draft.
``I was offered the job at the end of November and I couldn't say no really. The opportunity was too good to refuse,'' Flint said.
``Living the city for the last four or fives years, I'd had enough of the city life and wanted to come back to the country.''
Flint, a GV interleague representative in 2008, opted against travelling from Sale to play for Mansfield.
``Ned and I spoke about it when it first came about but the travel was a big thing, especially being a long season,'' Flint said.
``I'm working in Sale and my family is here so it was easier for me.''
Flint can't recall playing for Sale since his under-16 days due to TAC Cup commitments with Gippsland Power.
He will be assistant under first-year coach Nick Anderson, who replaced former Hawthorn midfielder Adrian Cox.
Anderson is the brother of 1996 North Melbourne premiership player Stuart Anderson.
Flint joins Jamie Sheahan and Dan Roy (both Aspley) and Bernie Jones (work) as departures from the Eagles' premiership side

We won't be buying flag, says Mansfield coach
Mansfield coach Craig Kelly has delivered a shot at rival Goulburn Valley Football League club spending big on high-profile recruits.
Kelly accused Shepparton Swans and Echuca of ``buying a premiership'' with the pair's busy off-season recruiting campaigns.
Swans coach Perry Meka has lured 645 AFL games of experience in former Melbourne teammates Adem Yze (271 games), Russell Robertson (228) and Nathan Brown (146).
Echuca has signed the likes of former Collingwood livewire Chris Egan, ex-North Melbourne tall Joel Perry and Ovens and Murray league Morris medallist Brad Murray.
Mansfield landed six Melbourne-based recruits in capturing last year's premiership.
``My philosophy is all about focusing on the young guys and bringing the community together,'' Kelly said.
``Perry Meka has brought in a few AFL guys and Echuca is having a crack but we won't be buying a premiership. We didn't do that last year.''
A cagey Kelly doesn't rate his reigning premiers among the leading contenders for this year's flag.
The Eagles have lost premiership players Jamie Sheahan and Dan Roy to QAFL club Aspley, Craig Flint to Sale and Bernie Jones to the air force.
Assistant coach Fraser Stevenson will miss all season while recovering from a shoulder reconstruction.
``We're in a rebuilding phase and there's a lot of development in our young guys,'' Kelly said.
``It's less likely we'll be as dominant as last year.''
Matt Storer, Guy Taylor and Travis Leitch are enjoying strong pre-seasons after battling injury last year.
Nick Gray, Stuart Quinn, Liam Scales and Noah Johnstone are trying out for Murray Bushrangers.
Kelly said the Eagles would soon secure their first off-season signings.

Saad to be leaving Seymour
Saad Saad is leaving Seymour for real this time.
Melbourne-based Saad is returning to Northern Football League side Northcote Park with his increased work commitments as an electrician.
The 27-year-old, who kicked 463 goals in five seasons for Seymour, almost left Kings Park to join VFL clubs Collingwood in 2008 and Bendigo Bombers last year.
``Saad needs to be able to not travel to focus on a few things with his electrical business,'' Seymour president Trevor Gunn said.
``He will be deemed as a bit irreplaceable but he will still be part of the club and always welcome back.''
Work duties have also forced triple premiership midfielders Brendan Liddell (Wangaratta) and Guy Pemberton (Greensborough) to leave Seymour.
Liddell, runner-up in last year's Morrison Medal, runs his own physiotherapy clinic in Wangaratta.
Pemberton, who will play against Saad in the Northern League, owns a landscaping business.
Bernie Haberman has called an end to his playing career and will coach from the sidelines this year.
Gunn said Seymour's key player exodus was inevitable after its recent dynasty.
``It's a spell we've got to have from where we've been,'' Gunn said.
``In the last five years we've won six football premierships _ three senior (2005-07), two reserves (2006 and `08) and one under-18 (2007).
``We're coming off the back of a good spell and you can't be up there competing for premierships every year.''
Seymour's chances of replacing Saad have been helped with brothers Brent and Paul Colbert returning for another season.
Former Essendon rookie Tim O'Keefe has returned from VFL club Port Melbourne.
Veteran Morrison medallist Shane Schottner is playing another year and premiership teammates Tim Hooper and Brett Spargo are back.

Can anyone shed any light on how Euroa are shaping up? Havent heard of any recruits and Thyer has gone to Yarra? Also, with Seymour losing Liddell, Saad and Pemberton and Haberman coaching from the sidelines, they might struggle more than people think?

Can anyone shed any light on how Euroa are shaping up? Havent heard of any recruits and Thyer has gone to Yarra? Also, with Seymour losing Liddell, Saad and Pemberton and Haberman coaching from the sidelines, they might struggle more than people think?

Yes might be a lean year and those boys have been great servants for our club, but we welcome back Tim Hooper and Tim Okeefe. Sad to see Saad leave and I thought he would of gone to Congupna[ very close i believe] but the travel after 6 years was the big factor, and I wish him all the best. Would not surprise me to see Habers play a few games once we are up and going, and as ive said we have had our time 4 senior Grand Finals, 2 Ressie flags and a 3rds flag in 6 years has been a great ride. Its the kids turn now and we look forward to the future.

We won't be buying flag, says Mansfield coach
Mansfield coach Craig Kelly has delivered a shot at rival Goulburn Valley Football League club spending big on high-profile recruits.
Kelly accused Shepparton Swans and Echuca of ``buying a premiership'' with the pair's busy off-season recruiting campaigns.
Swans coach Perry Meka has lured 645 AFL games of experience in former Melbourne teammates Adem Yze (271 games), Russell Robertson (228) and Nathan Brown (146).
Echuca has signed the likes of former Collingwood livewire Chris Egan, ex-North Melbourne tall Joel Perry and Ovens and Murray league Morris medallist Brad Murray.
Mansfield landed six Melbourne-based recruits in capturing last year's premiership.
``My philosophy is all about focusing on the young guys and bringing the community together,'' Kelly said.
``Perry Meka has brought in a few AFL guys and Echuca is having a crack but we won't be buying a premiership. We didn't do that last year.''
A cagey Kelly doesn't rate his reigning premiers among the leading contenders for this year's flag.
The Eagles have lost premiership players Jamie Sheahan and Dan Roy to QAFL club Aspley, Craig Flint to Sale and Bernie Jones to the air force.
Assistant coach Fraser Stevenson will miss all season while recovering from a shoulder reconstruction.
``We're in a rebuilding phase and there's a lot of development in our young guys,'' Kelly said.
``It's less likely we'll be as dominant as last year.''
Matt Storer, Guy Taylor and Travis Leitch are enjoying strong pre-seasons after battling injury last year.
Nick Gray, Stuart Quinn, Liam Scales and Noah Johnstone are trying out for Murray Bushrangers.
Kelly said the Eagles would soon secure their first off-season signings.

Gee be very very careful Ned, if you payed anyone last year that played at Mansfield you brought a flag, dont have ago at other clubs chasing success.:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

I certain player for Mansfield was overseas for 3 years and was still on $700 a game.....What a dead set knob Kelly is, surely he is taking the piss

Coach has belief in Bears
Shepparton coach Richard Warburton is confident his side can contend for finals despite an off-season riddled with turmoil and numerous player departures.
Warburton resigned and was reinstated the same afternoon early last month after club executives told him he didn't have the support of his players.
A dozen senior regulars from last year have departed Deakin Reserve during the summer, the majority of those home-grown products to minor league clubs.
Warburton believes the tough period has galvanised the club.
``Once you've got a footy club that's all heading in the right direction, which I think we are, you can achieve anything,'' Warburton said.
``We're going to have our ups and downs and we're probably not rated like some of the other sides who have landed these big signings around the league.
``But to me reputations don't mean anything. It's how you plan and if everyone is galvanised and on board well anything can happen.''
Former Murray Bushranger Paul Kennelly, a member of Shepparton's 2005 under-18 premiership, has returned from VFL side Werribee.
The Melbourne-based real estate agent won't be able to play every game as he often works on Saturdays.
Strathmerton midfielder Alan Richardson is also back at the Bears after playing a handful of senior games in 2007.
Picola United best and fairest David Daniel is a new face along with Border Walwa youngster Damian Broughton from the Upper Murray league.
Marc Lord is virtually a recruit after a shoulder injury restricted him to one game last year.
Captain Nick Allan and forward Sean Harrap should be fit to play round one after having off-season knee surgery.
Vice-captain Marc Harrap is ready to start full training in his recovery from a knee injury.
Warburton is aware his side will start an extreme outsider to defeat Shepparton Swans in the season-opening night match on Good Friday, April 2.
``With what the Swans have been doing (recruitment-wise) most would probably say we're not much of a show,'' Warburton said.
``I've got belief in our guys that we can make sure we're ready to take it up to them and get ourselves up and running to have a good consistent year.''
Warburton believes Shepparton can reach the finals for the first time since 2005.
The Bears finished seventh (8-10) after starting 6-1 last year.
``Probably a lot won't agree with it, but I still reckon we can play finals footy,'' Warburton said. ``I think missing out last year was a bit of a blow, but I reckon we've learned from that and can move forward.''

Saw on the Shepp News website an article on new Mooroopna recruit Wayne Patak, as I can't access the whole thing could someone post it on Big Footy please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back